Providence Public Library Photograph Collection

Sort Collection By:

Islandora Bookmark

Bookmarks:

About The Providence Public Library Photograph Collection
Chartered by the General Assembly of the State of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations in 1875, the Providence Public Library (PPL) is a privately governed and supported library with a public library mission. PPL opened in 1878 on the second floor of the Butler Exchange building in Exchange Place. In 1880, it moved to a larger, street-level location on Snow Street below the Mowry and Goff School. The Library quickly required more space and in 1896 ground was broken for the Renaissance building at 225 Washington Street. The building was made possible by a large gift from John Nicholas Brown. The collection contains photographs of Providence Public Library and includes images of the buildings, staff, and programs. The bulk of the collection includes images of the building and staff of the Washington Street / Empire Street library (formerly knows as the Central Branch).

Pages

Pages

Islandora simple search

Advanced Search